An NIV Test*
The purpose of this test is to help you see just how different some Bible versions can be. It is more than just substituting the word "canine" for "dog", for example. Please do not purchase an NIV Bible in order to take this test. If you do not have one, you can likely find one at your public library, or you can just skip this page and go to the answers page to see the results.
Using the New International
Version (NIV) Bible, any edition, answer the following
Do not rely on your memory of what the verses say.
Take the answer from the written verse(s), not from footnotes.
1. Matthew 5:44. Fill in the missing words: "Love your enemies, ________ them that curse you, ______ ______ to them that hate you, and pray for them that _____ _____ ______ and persecute you."
2. Matthew 17:21. What two things are required to cast out this type of demon?
3. Matthew 18:11. Why did Jesus come to earth?
4. Matthew 27:2. What was Pilate's first name?
5. Matthew 27:35. What were the words spoken by the prophet concerning the parting of Christ's garments?
6. Mark 3:15. Jesus gave the apostles power to cast out demons and to __________?
7. Mark 7:16. What does a man need to be able to hear?
8. Mark 9:44. Fill in the blanks. Where their ______ ______ not, and the ______ is not quenched.
9. Mark 11:26. What happens if you don't forgive?
10. Luke 4:4. Complete the following: "Man does not live on bread alone, _______________________. "
11. Luke 7:28. What was John? (teacher, prophet, carpenter, etc.) What is his title or last name?
12. Luke 9:55-56. What did the disciples not know? What did the Son of man not come to do? What did He come to do?
13. Luke 17:36. Who is in the field? What will happen to them?
14. Luke 22:14. How many apostles were with Jesus?
15. Luke 23:38. In what three languages was the superscription written?
16. Luke 24:42. What did they give Jesus to eat with His fish?
17. John 3:13. As Jesus spoke, where was the Son of man (indicating His deity)?
18. John 5:4. What happened in the water of the pool at certain seasons?
19. John 7:50. What time of day did Nicodemus come to Jesus?
20. Acts 8:37. What is the one requirement for baptism?
21. Acts 9:6. What did Saul ask Jesus?
22. Acts 15:34. Write the name of the man mentioned.
23. Acts 24:6-8. What would the Jews have done with Paul? What did the chief captain command?
24. Romans 16:24. Copy this verse word for word.
25. 1 Timothy 3:16. Who was manifested in the flesh? (Diety of Christ)
26. 1 Peter 4:14. In the second part, how do [they] speak of Christ? And, what do Christians do?
27. 1 John 5:7: Who are the three Persons of the Trinity?
28. Revelation 1:11. Fill in the blanks. Jesus said, "I am the A_______ and O_____, the _______ and the____________ (Christ's deity)